Media literacy

 

                             https://presscouncils.eu/Media-Literacy-Toolkit-for-teachers-and-students


 - In todays blog I will be discussing my personal experience with reading this week.

 - The first two main points will be about the opinion pieces then finally the academic journal article.  

       

  - Opinion piece, Digital Media Companies Found Lacking in Helping Users Understand  The Online Environment by Niamh Kirk.


                      

   - With this opinion piece I found it quite philosophical in ways about misinformation. It was a very in depth article relating to the fact that online users were not being informed by massive corporations of the media world that are insufficient to guide of online disinformation. 

   - What I found interesting was point by point deconstructing between both online users and massive corporations such as Google and Facebook. Pillar D is to "help users to make a informed decision" which is within the CODECHECK to help prevent disinformation as many corporations of the online world aren't as transparent about the use of personal data and credible content that is unclear. 

   - reading this piece for the first time was difficult for me as the language use at the time was unclear to me. But using my techniques such as pseudo skimming and writing down questions and important notes was key for me but reading over and over was significant to be able to write about it.

    - What I took away from this piece was the perspective of how corporate media companies aren't transparent as we think. Being a media practitioner, I changed my outlook on how I should perceive content online and what I will engage in.


    - Opinion piece, Nearly half of people in the UK nation have come across false or misleading information about Covid-19 by Rebecca Lennon regulatory affairs adviser of  Ofcom.


        - This opinion piece I found to be insightful as surveys were shared of how people perceive content about covid-19.

        - What I found most intriguing was "theories linking the origins or causes of covid-19 to be 5g technology". This is the pinnacle of how information can snowball  into something hard to be true or false as surveyed by 35% of Northern Ireland found it to be. This is the focus of how online media practitioners have a "role to play" to digest information seen online.

        - This piece was hard to grasp the concept of. The language and charts through me of quite a bit. 

        - Reading through this helped me change my views differently on how literacy practitioners have a role to play.


        - Article journal, News media literacy, perception of bias, and interpretation of news by Melissa Tully, Emily K Vraga and Anne Bennet Smithson.


        - My experience with this article was it was aiming at bias viewpoints and how the media can create hostile effects, selective exposure and partisanship.

        - This was really enjoyable to read through as I've never though how media can observe our bias attitude. 

        - What I found to be intuitive, is how this article mentions "news sources are biased to tend to promote one political side over another" This shows the human nature of our  current behaviour of what we are looking at to be instantly against there beliefs. Which says a lot of how I think and how I should change my biases differently.

           - Lastly I found this article to be quite long with rich content that was hard to get through due to the tendencies of over complicating of biases.    


        - Conclusion.

        - Overall I took from my experience of this is that to be informed of my decision online and my own bias viewpoints.


          - REFERENCES.

          - First image and source- https://www.medialiteracyireland.ie/news/digital-media-companies-found-                                                lacking-in-helping-users-understand-the-online-environment

           - Second image and source- https://www.medialiteracyireland.ie/news/ofcom-research-nearly-half-of-people-across-the-uk-nations-have-come-across-false-or-misleading-information-about-covid-19

            - Article journal source- https://tudublin-my.sharepoint.com/personal/irene_mcginn_tudublin_ie/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx?id=%2Fpersonal%2Firene_mcginn_tudublin_ie%2FDocuments%2FYr1%2



        

Comments

Popular Posts