Study skills
| https://www.minuteschool.com/2017/12/exam-study-techniques/ |
After watching "The 3 BEST science-based study tips" and "5 Active Reading Strategies for Textbook Assignments" and "Creating critical thinkers though media: Andrea Quijada" very helpful and insightful. Many people like me nowadays neglect the way we understand information and regurgitate it without any proper ways to be efficient as possible where do. Going through the Leaving Cert for me was quite stressful without any techniques involved to help me get better results. Analysing the videos mentioned above for me personally is a game changer to now have in my toolbox. The study tips are intriguing but yet so easy to implement into my daily routine. Before I used to just look at things with brief minutes at a time in which resulted in poor outcomes at time. Having a "quiz" for myself will bring much more learning capabilities and extend the knowledge of information gathered to my brain. The "mixing" part is something I wont take for granted. This tip mixes your study time around to not over endure yourself but to take breaks from whatever you are studying. The overall thoughts on this is great now but compared to how I used to learn was dreadful as I didn't take any breaks but just studied for hours in my room everyday without doing something else to relax my thoughts. I'm glad to have found this to help in my future studies. Lastly we have "spacing" in which to study whenever you are about to forget things. Seems simple to an average person but for me, its very overlooked. I will keep this in mind whenever I have assignments as previous I would study one day only like Monday then I wont study for the week. It came to exams and I forgot most of the information I got on Monday. I'm dearly thankful for the YouTube channel (Mike an Matty). For reading however, the five main reading strategies are incredible reliable. "Pseudo Skimming" tip is generally going through a text very quickly to analyse the more important text of writing then background information. For me it was never like that compared to my readings. It was more highlighting key words then skimming through it. Now however, "pseudo Skimming" is more efficient than just highlighting. It brings more into developing a feeling for the text. "Reading backwards" can bring to light a new sense of how to book summary will look like in a bigger picture. For me I already do that in which is a great tip to learn a book very quickly to help note for future chapters or text. "Making notes" is generally what everyone should do. I do it all the time but for me it wasn't affective as I want it to be, something like "flagging" would be better to find notes. Previously I was making notes but It wasn't for me as I would write information that will get lost eventually over time. Thanks to the YouTube channel (Thomas Frank) for this information My overall feelings on reading and writing are ambivalent. They both conflict against each other in which are at somewhat of a standard I wouldn't really know. Some days I would feel good about my reading and writing capabilities but some other days its not. Generally I'm an indecisive person about nearly everything but I hope to gain the confidence in the bear future with my academic part of myself. Questions revolving around active reading is interesting. Is it better than watching videos or skimming through resources online? Or is it a waste of my own time? In reality I personally think active reading can help bridge that knowledge even further like expanding your vocabulary or forming your own opinions. Not just that but help you mentally from a vulnerable place. My experiences with the concept of media literacy is that media is constructed bound by its own explorative, creative language. Media literacy can achieve goals as in to target individuals with embedded important values we overlook today. Things like "Creating critical thinkers though media: Andrea Quijada" talks about in one of her points is about corporate slavery. At first it looks like a man giving a baby money but in hindsight it uses the embedded message of slavery as we are the slaves giving them money rather than actual slavery. Lastly before I sign off on this blog, Media Literacy provides use to truly develop a receptive way to decode a message. Helping us to learn in critical ways in which I think is a great toolbox to have going forward for me. I thank you for reading my blog and as always its been a pleasure to write to you. - Jason
Comments
Post a Comment